Thursday, March 8, 2007

Too Much Education?

Yesterday I took the first part of my GED test. There are 8 or 9 other people taking the test with me. Only 2 of them are under 20 I think. The rest are all adults. The oldest is maybe 40-45. It is kind of sad to think about the appalling odds these people face. Without a diploma they won't be hired many places. Many are followed by the stigma of failure for their whole life. All this makes me think of my post yesterday and I wonder is there ever a time when you can have too much education?

If being educated give options, then why not be in school all your life? Why not give yourself as many options as possible. Our lesson study now is the book of Ecclesiastes. In chapter 7 there is a verse that speaks of wisdom:

For wisdom is a defense as money is a defense, But the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it. Ecc 7:12

"Wisdom gives life to those who have it" - that makes it the better defense. There is a sense that education gives a better life to those that have it. But there is also a sense that unless you are wise your knowledge does nothing for you. It is wisdom that is the defense not knowledge. So can you become wiser with education? Or should you become wiser with education? I think that true education should make you wiser. It should be a defense and a life-giver to you.

When I think of wisdom I think of Proverbs 2. It speaks of wisdom in such personal terms. It talks of seeking and searching for wisdom as though wisdom is something that comes through diligence. It seems that wisdom is something that comes from education! Here is the first 11 verses of Proverbs 2:

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path. When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee: Proverbs 2:1-11, Proverbs 2

Notice the source, "the Lord giveth wisdom." The at the center of gaining wisdom is the fear of the Lord. If I want wisdom I must fear God. I don't want to preach a prosperity gospel here but I do believe that the Lord blesses those who bless (honor) Him. And yes, there are lots of exceptions to that: ungodly people who do well, and godly people who do poorly. But if the Lord is the source of wisdom and wisdom is a defense then the Lord is my defense.

So, how much formal education do you need to get wisdom? I have run out of time so that question will have to wait for now.

God Bless!

3 comments:

Richard said...

In my oppinion, you can have too much formal education. I have met a few professional students who have no account lives. All they know is how to suceed at formal education. While education opens doors, can help you get hired, and is almost a prerequisite for sucess, it is not a substitute for the sucess itself. The time comes when we will be evaluated less by our education and more by our practical abilities. This is the phase I am at now. My education got me hired, my tallent, skill, wisdom, and sucess will keep me hired. I am speaking practically, not spiritually.

Matthew said...

But how much is enough? 100 years ago a high school education would be considered a full education. Now college is required and a masters is recommended. Where does it end? 100 years ago people were productive citizens by 18; now it is more like 24-26 range.

Is it better now or then? I don't know...

Richard said...

I guess we just need to go with the cultural flow. And it depends on your field of work. Often a masters only comes after you are already working in a give line of work. Not too many people, other then acedemicians, go for a PhD until they are established in their work/field. Unless you are going into psychology... But for most people, the college degree is still the base level of education. It is the high school of 75 years ago.