Sunday, February 25, 2007

Single Women and their place in the Bible

I have launched on a mini study of the role and place of single women in the Bible. This may sound strange coming from a guy but I have been reading a book that is taking a very unique view of women in the Bible and I want to find out the truth of the thing.

Here are some reference pages I used in my study:

http://christian-dating-service-plus.com/ ?! - the content is fine, the name is not what I am looking for

http://www.ninetyandnine.com/ - good list

So from those we get this list:

Damaris (Acts 17:34)
Dorcas (Acts 9:36-42)
Euodias and Syntche (Philippians 4:2)
Lydia (Acts 16:13-15, 40)
Martha and Mary and Lazarus’ sisters, (Luke 10, John 11 and 12)
Mary (Romans 16:6)
Mary Magdalene (Matthew 27, Mark 16, and John 19)
Phoebe (Romans 16:1,2)
Susanna (Luke 8:2,3)

Note: those are only NT examples, here are the OT examples I can think of:

Miriam, most likely (Ex 15:20-21, Num 12:1-15, 20:1)
Queen of Sheba (2Chr 9:1-12)
Huldah (2Ki 22:14-20, 2Chr 34:22-28)
Noadiah (Neh 6:14)

I am sure I am leaving out someone but I can't think of any more that I know are single. Now, of the the NT list only Dorcas, Lydia, Mary and Martha, and Mary Magdalene really have very much of a story. The others are just mentioned in passing or very briefly.

For the OT all except Noadiah have sufficient info to study and come too some conclusions. What those conclusions will be I will have to finish later.

God Bless!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Huldah was married: "the wife of Shallum". 2 Kings 22:14

Anonymous said...

Lot's daughters were also single though they decided to find a "husband" by their own means.

Michelle White said...

Don't forget Anna from Luke 2:36-37:

36 There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.