Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Making Decisions

Making decisions is something everyone does their whole life. Making decisions is something everyone does, most of the time without thinking consciously. But at certain points in everyone's life they make very important decisions. Not like what to have for breakfast, although that is an important decision ;), but things like where do I go to college, whom do I marry, what job to except, where to move, etc. Those decisions have to made with more care than the daily decisions that I referenced earlier because they are more affecting.

The choice you make will affect you and others longer than the chose of whether to eat in the living room or in the kitchen. And when you come to those important decisions it is more imperative that you make a good or best decision. If you choose to eat in the living room as opposed to kitchen in most cases even if you made the "wrong" choice. Whereas in the marriage example, if you make the "wrong" choice, your stuck buddy! You have to live with the consequences of that choice for a long time.

So when we come to those important decisions how do we make a good, or the best, decision. I have made a list of 5 steps to making a Godly decision.

1. The Word of God
Psalms 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”

Whenever the Word of God specifies the course there is no need for any other counsel. Oftentimes what we are wondering is already answered in the Bible we just don't know it is there. This is the first step and many times may be the only step.

When we come to the Word we must be willing to accept whatever it has to teach us. If we do not have a spirit of willingness to do what it says we can be lead astray by our own desires and preferences. If we want to God to lead we must be willing to go where He wants us to go.

2. Godly Council
Proverbs 15:22 “Without counsel, plans go awry, but in the multitude of counselors they are established.”

Godly counsel is directly connected to the Word of God. The ideal Godly counselor will point us to the Word and give us counsel based on the Word. Again, we must be willing and open to accept what counsel we receive. But, I would caution that we must be good Bereans (Acts 17:10-11) and search the scripture for ourselves to know if the counsel is right.

3. Inner Conviction
John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything”

The Holy Spirit will guide us into the truth and will reinforce those things that we have been learning. The Holy Spirit has the duty of convicting and impressing upon minds the Truth; we know that He does this and we believe that He does this in the work of evangelism. But I believe He does the same kind of moving upon us personally, helping us to make Godly decisions.

4. Godly Provision/Circumstances
Exodus 17:6-7 “Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." And he called the place Massah and Meribah… saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?"

Acts 8:1 On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria.

God uses providence to guide us. If I want to go to further my education at Yale but I don't have the money and I ask the Lord to guide and someone gives me $10,000 that is a providential guiding from the Lord. There are many ways for this to work, not just monetary, but in all the talent areas. The Lord might give you wisdom at a test or skill at a job interview.

Let's suppose I have a job offer in another state on the other side of the country. But I have aging parents and they have needs that require me to live near them. If they die that is a circumstance that supports me moving somewhere. As we go through the process of asking the Lord for guidance we should make sure to note the providences and circumstances He sets along the way.

5. Peace
Colossians 3:15 “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,”

The final step in my list is peace. When God leads He gives a peace that passes all understanding. His peace is a peace that only comes by being in the Lord's will. He has a plan for each of us and there is nothing better than to know that you are following the Lord's plan for you.

So as you make those important decisions remember to seek God's will. He desires to show us His plan for each decision. Remember the 5 steps I have found in God's word to coming to a Godly decision.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

God Bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for writing this. It was easy and simple for me to comprehend. It made sense and i have book marked it for my reference. It spoke to me and i believe a truly person of God would of only written that.

Matthew said...

Thank you for your comment! I need to get back to posting on here.